Description & Purpose: Information Technology will be upgrading the City’s Telephone system later this month and into April. The upgrade will provide more features for the City like expanded voice mail to e-mail. In addition we will have an up to date system and resolve many of the voice mail issues that has plagued the system for quite a while. In order to complete the new upgrade we will need to have two planned outages of the phone system which includes voice mail.
- March 29th between midnight and 6 am. Each location will experience a 5-10 minute outage during this time period. We cannot predict which sites will be down at what time but we will know the order of the changes for each location. This maintenance window will NOT affect the voice mail system.
- April 6th between 8 pm and 10 pm. Sometime during this period City hall will experience a 1 hour outage and all other sites will experience a 30 minute outage.
Who is/is not affected:
- All City telephones on the AVAYA phone system at the locations listed below.
- 911 lines and the 911 administration phone line for 727-6111 will not be affected.
- Social Services, Hampton Roads Convention Center, Coliseum, North Hampton Community Center, all branch libraries, Police Field office WILL NOT be affected;
- TASKE, voice mail to email services, call detail recording and Uptivity WILL be affected by this upgrade and will mostly be unavailable during the second maintenance window.
What will occur: During the first maintenance window we will be upgrading the firmware on the phone equipment at each location. This will not cause a long city wide outage, but will cause short 5 to 10 minute outages at individual sites as they are upgraded. These upgrades will occur throughout the early morning hours as described above.
During the second maintenance window, the main telephone system at City Hall will be upgraded, including the city voice mail system. All remote sites will then be re-booted to authenticate with the main system. TASKE, call detail reporting and Uptivity will be upgraded and attached to the newly upgraded main City Hall phone system.
All voice mail announcements, messages in your voice mail box and your current voice mail password will all be transferred over to the new voice mail system.
Information Technology will test a sampling of phones at each location to ensure proper operation upon completion of the upgrade.
- During both maintenance windows minimize you usage of the phone system. Be aware that even if you make a call, the call may be dropped at any time during the window;
- If you are working during these maintenance windows be prepared for the outage by having a cellular phone or other means of communications available;
- Do not attempt to access your voice mail during the second maintenance window;
- When you return to work on Thursday, April 7th, check your voice mail for the proper announcement and your phone for proper operation. If you experience any issues, report the problem to the IT help desk by email to email@example.com;
If you have any issues or questions before, during or after this process, please submit a request through the help desk as indicated above.
City locations affected by this planned upgrade:
- City Hall
- Public Safety Building
- Circuit Court
- General District Court
- J & D Court
Fire Station #11
- Fort Monroe Community Center
- NASA Steam Plant
- Jail Annex
- Hampton City Jail
- Sandy Bottom
- Health Department
- Sargent Building City Offices
- Court Service Unit
- Risk Management
- Hampton Public Library (Main Office)
- Y. H. Thomas (Fire, Emergency Management, Recreation)
- Performing Arts Center
- Healthy Family
- 311 Call Center
- Public Works campus, both Admin and Operations including Fleet Services
- Hampton Convention and Visitor Bureau and Voter Registrar
City locations not listed above will not experience an outage.
Change Management Process
IT Department, City of Hampton