Preparing for the Interview
Types of Questions Encountered in an Oral Board Interview
The following questions are examples of typical questions that will potentially be asked during the oral review board interview:
- Why do you want to become a Police Recruit with the City of Hampton 's Police Division?
- How have you prepared for this position?
- Tell us about your experience and training as it relates to the position of Police Recruit?
- Why are you considering a career in law enforcement?
- What are your qualifications?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strength?
- What do you consider to be your greatest weakness?
- How would you rate your ability to get along with others? What is the basis for this rating?
- How effective are you in working in a team environment and why?
- What motivates you to put forth your greatest effort?
- How would you describe your work ethic?
- How has your education and training prepared you for a career in law enforcement?
- What accomplishment has given you the most satisfaction and why?
- In what kind of work environment are you most comfortable.
- How would you rate your ability to work under pressure? What is the basis for this rating?
You can also expect several scenario type questions that are designed to measure your reactions to certain situations. Generally, these questions have no clear cut right or wrong answers. Instead, the raters will be looking at your decision-making ability and justifications for your actions.
The key to being successful in these questions is to be yourself. Answer the questions the way you would actually handle the situations. The raters do not expect you to have any prior law enforcement experience to answer these questions. They do expect you to approach them logically by applying common sense and interpersonal skills.
Wrapping Up the Interview
Typically the final question of an Oral Board will be something like this: "Is there anything you would like to add that will help us in making our ranking?"
You should prepare a well thought out answer. This is your last opportunity to sell yourself.