Project "I Can" Checklist
Do My Family & I...
- Understand the dangers of weapons, especially firearms, and how to prevent them from ending up in the hands of children?
- Talk about the costs-personal and financial-of violence?
- Think carefully about the kinds of entertainment we watch or hear?
- Know and practice ways to settle disputes without violence?
- Understand and practice basic self-protection strategies?
Do My Neighbors & I...
- Know each other reasonably well?
- Work together to make our neighborhood safe for children?
- Agree on how and when to step in to prevent kids' quarrels from becoming violent?
- Discuss how we feel about weapons, including firearms, and what rules and standards we agree on?
- Help each other by joining and taking an active role in Neighborhood Watch?
- Know that there are good ways for our children to spend their time and energy after school?
- Identify, discuss, and solve (or get help to solve) troubling conditions in our area?
- Work with police, school officials, civic groups, and others to address larger issues for the community?
Does My Community...
- Have and enforce sound laws and regulations for secure weapons storage?
- Provide safe ways for residents to dispose of unwanted weapons?
- Actively provide resources and know-how to help residents learn how to solve problems without violence?
- Provide mentoring and other outreach services to troubled youth and families?
- Enlist young people in addressing violence problems?
- Coordinate community groups to develop comprehensive anti-violence strategies and plans?
- Offer an attractive array of both family-oriented and youth-focused events?
- Have clear standards that reject violence as a presence in the community?
Add Your Own Reminders Here!
______________ Make a difference in my community.
______________ The relationship between police and citizens of our community.
______________ Instill hope and confidence that we can rid our community of crime.
Download the printable checklist (PDF).