Tax Relief for Elderly & Disabled
This program is administered by the Commissioner of the Revenue and minimum qualifications include:
- Be at least 65 years of age or permanently and totally disabled on or before December 31 of the year immediately preceding the year in which you are applying for tax relief.
- Have a combined gross household income of $50,000 or less from all sources, including all relatives residing in the house. Each relative, excluding your spouse, may deduct $7,000 from their annual income when figuring income requirements.
- Own and occupy the dwelling on or before January 1 of the year you are applying for tax relief. (If the owner is in the hospital, nursing home, or other institution, he/she is still eligible if the dwelling remains as their home and has not been rented to another party. Upon transfer or sale of said property, the amount exempted for the remainder of that year shall become due and payable.)
- Renewal applications (PDF) will be accepted through the mail, all other applicants may apply during the months of May through August by appointment. Please call 757-727-6690 after May 15 to schedule an appointment.
- The application deadline is August 31st annually.
- Report all financial assets of owners living in the home, excluding the value of the house and up to 10-acre home site of land as follows:
- Freeze - Income up to $50,000 - assets up to $200,000
- Deferral - Income up to $50,000 - assets up to $200,000
- Verification of all statements may be required.
For more information, on this program, contact the Commissioner of the Revenue at (757) 727-6690.
Land Use (Agricultural Deferral)
The Land Use Assessment Program is provided for in the Code of Virginia. The program permits localities to offer a program of special assessments for agricultural and horticultural lands. Properties that qualify for this program are assessed on crop production value rather than speculative market value. The purpose of the program is to encourage the continuation of the city's farming industry, and the retention of aesthetically pleasing natural vistas.
There is a minimum acreage requirement of five acres. Other qualifying conditions and restrictions exist for properties taxed under this program. Application forms can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Assessor of Real Estate. Please call 3-1-1 or (757) 727-8311 for more information.
Rehabilitation Exemption Program
The Office of the Assessor of Real Estate administers the Rehabilitation Exemption Program to encourage both homeowners and businesses to rehabilitate their properties and in return not pay full taxes on those improvements for a period of six (6) years. The program is authorized by the Code of Virginia § 58.1-3220 & § 58.1-3221. The exemption commences July 1st of the tax year immediately following completion of rehabilitation.
The exemption is calculated at 100 percent of the rehabilitation credit for the first three (3) years following the commencement of the exemption period and at 50 percent for the second three (3) years. An application must be filed within five (5) working days after building permits have been issued and prior to any renovations being started.
Application forms can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Assessor of Real Estate. Please call 3-1-1 or (757) 727-8311 for more information.