General Assembly Candidate
Follow these instructions as you seek to become a member of the general assembly:
- Report separately activity for each general election, including any primary or other party process used to nominate candidates for it.
- All reports must be legible. File with the Virginia State Board of Elections (SBE) and the electoral board of the city where you live if filed on paper or you can file electronically only with SBE.
The schedule is:
- July 15 of the first non-election year in which contributions are received or payments made, for the period January 1 through June 30
- January 15 after a non-election year for the period July 1 through December 31 of the previous year
- April 15 of the election year for the period January 1 through March 31
Method Other Than a Primary
Report in writing within 72 hours any contribution of more than $500 received from March 31 through the date of the nomination. If received within 72 hours before the nomination, report by the day before the nomination.
For Candidates in a Primary
- Report in writing by 5 p.m. on the following day any contribution of more than $500 received between the period of 11 days before the election and Election Day. If received within 72 hours before election day, report by the day before the election.
- Report in writing by 5 p.m. on the following day any contribution of more than $1,000 received between the period of 12 days before the primary and the day of the primary.
The Schedule Continued
- Eight days before the second Tuesday in June for the period ending 13 days before that Tuesday
- July 15 of the election year for the period ending June 30
- October 15 of the election year for the period ending September 30
- Eight days before the November election for the period ending 13 days before the election
- Report in writing by 5 p.m. on the following day any contribution of more than $1000 received between the period of 12 days before the November election and election day and for a contribution received on Saturday by 5 p.m. on the following Monday. However, any such contribution received within the 24 hours prior to the election day shall be reported and a report thereof received on the day prior to the election.
- Thirty days after the November election for the period ending 23 days after the election.
- Thereafter, each January 15 (for the period ending December 31) and each July 15 (for the period ending June 30) any funds remaining, outstanding debts, or any unreported funds are received until a final report is filed.
The final report must set forth:
- All previously unreported receipts and disbursements
- An accounting of the retirement of all debts
- A detail of the disposition of all surplus funds
Surplus funds may be legally spent. You, the candidate, must sign the termination statement provided on the reporting form.
For More Information
For more information, contact the voting registrar's office at (757) 727-6218.