Education and Development Resources
To provide some assistance during Hampton’s city and school closures, some library vendors have opened access to educational resources to help parents and children through May.
- Sample lesson plans from Great Books
- Open educational resources from Great Books.
- Full suite of World Book online learning resources.
- Pronunciator Language Instruction — Learn any of 80 languages, including English, in any of 50 languages. Use with most browsers and mobile devices.
- Rocket Languages — Learn another language with interactive audio conversations, language and culture lessons, reinforcement activities, and much more.
Learn to Code
Scratch — Program your own interactive stories, games, and animations. Scratch helps young people learn to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively — essential skills for life in the 21st century.
SNAP! (Formerly BYOB) — This is very similar to Scratch in many ways. Developed at Berkeley in the USA it has a few tricks up its sleeve. Snap allows you to be a bit more complicated and creative. It allows for more use of variables, as well as creating your own blocks. This is handy as often Scratch requires the same pairs of blocks all the time.
KODU — Kodu is Microsoft’s game design platform. Originally created as a game creation app for the Xbox, it is also available on PC for free. It produces simple games with stunning 3d graphics. The big win here is that you can plug in an Xbox controller to play your games. The interface is very intuitive and fun.
Hour of code — Supported by the American Government, Facebook and numerous app developers. It is all free to use and there is a wealth of tutorials in all kinds of languages.
Erase all Kittens — An incredibly fun way to learn HTML. Although HTML is not strictly a programming language, it requires children to code. This is an irreverent mix of coding and cat gifs.
Blockly | Blockly Games — represents coding concepts as interlocking blocks. It outputs syntactically correct code in the programming language of your choice. Custom blocks may be created to connect to your own application.
Direct Links to Learning Express Test Preparation Centers
The Hampton Public Library subscribes to this high-quality test preparation and career development service. Using this resource requires the user to create a free account using an email address and password.
- Learn More About a Career
- Job Search and Workplace Skills
- Prepare for the Air Traffic Controller Exam
- Prepare for Allied Health and Social Worker Exams
- Prepare for Civil Service Exams
- Prepare for Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Exams
- Prepare for Cosmetology Exams
- Prepare for Culinary Arts Exams
- Prepare for Electrician and Plumbing Exams
- Prepare for Emergency Medical Services and Firefighting Exams
- Prepare for Law Enforcement Exams
- Prepare for Military Exams
- Prepare for Nursing Exams
- Prepare for Real Estate Exams
- Prepare for Teaching Exams
- Prepare for the WorkKeys® Assessments and the TOEIC®
- Are You Ready?
- Build Your Basic Skills
- GED en Español
- Prepare for TASC Test Assessing Secondary Completion
- Prepare for the GED Test
- Prepare for the HiSET
- Grammar and Writing Skills Review
- Math Skills Review
- Prepare for College Placement Exams
- Prepare for Graduate School Admissions Exams
- Prepare for the CLEP® Exams
- Reading Skills Review
- Science Skills Review
- Become a Better Reader
- Become a U.S. Citizen/Prepárese para su Examen de Ciudadanía
- Build Your Math Skills
- Improve Your Writing, Speaking, and Grammar
- Prepare for Your SAT Test