- Youth Opportunities
- Summer Youth Employment Program
Summer Youth Employment Program
The City of Hampton created a Summer Youth Employment Program that offers job opportunities within city and school departments, local businesses, and non-profit organizations to youth and young adults in Hampton ages 16-24. The 10-week program provides summer work experiences cultivating professional and personal career aspirations. Interested participants must attend a Hampton city school or be a Hampton resident.
All program participants are paid by the Office of Youth and Young Adult Opportunities. During the interview process, we determine student interest and availability to match students with suitable host sites. We will also work to make placements based on the students’ Academies of Hampton program selection. Students participate in a pre-employment training week, tentatively scheduled to be held June 12-16, 2023, and can begin working at their host site the following week.
- Interested participants must attend a Hampton city school or be a Hampton resident and submit an application .
- Applicants can print and fill out the online application. Completed application can be emailed to Hugo Morrison, senior family services coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or can be submitted at the Office of Youth and Young Adult Opportunities offices, 1 S. Mallory St., 2nd Floor of Phoebus Library.
- Applications can also be picked up from Hampton City High Schools, Community Centers, Youth and Young Adult Opportunities Office, or can be requested by email.
- Prospective candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview.
- Everyone accepted into the program must attend a parent/participant orientation and pre-employment training to develop soft skills and determine the best placement site.
- Previous experience not required to apply.
- Employees may work up to 20 hours per week and schedules will be based on the employer’s needs.
- Job dates are June 19 — Aug. 25, 2023.
NOTE: All dates and program implementation are tentative due to COVID-19 and public health guidance.
You can also volunteer with the Summer Youth Employment program as a job coach, training facilitator, or guest speaker. Complete our volunteer form.
For more information, contact the Office of Youth and Young Adult Opportunities at 757-727-2745 or email Hugo Morrison.
Visit our Facebook to see the photos from our Summer Youth Employment Gala
Mon, Apr 17Learn More...
Sun, Apr 23Youth Violence Prevention Week: Reunion of Hope Come together to share a sense of faith, family, a...Learn More...
Mon, Apr 24Youth Violence Prevention Week: Hope, Hampton, Football Watch exciting games of seven-on-seven football fo...Learn More...
Mon, Apr 24Learn More...
Wed, Apr 26Youth Violence Prevention Week: Hope After Dark Mix and mingle at a social night at Bar Louie for ...Learn More...
Fri, Apr 282023 Urgency of N.O.W. Gala of Hope Dinner and celebration to culminate the week’s act...Learn More...