Assistant City Manager
Steven D. Bond
As a member of the city’s executive management team, Bond oversees several key departments responsible for public safety, emergency services and youth and family services.
Bond assists the city manager in the development, implementation and administration of city polices, programs and operations. He works directly with elected officials, city employees, Hampton City Schools and various boards and commissions.
Prior to his appointment as assistant city manager in September of 2014, Bond was a deputy city attorney with Hampton’s city attorney’s office, serving as the legal representative for the Hampton Police Division, the Hampton Fire and Rescue Division, the Department of Emergency Management and the Department of Human Services. He also served as primary employment law counsel for the city, representing the Department of Human Resources.
What do you like best about your job?
“The opportunity to interact with citizens and employees in an attempt to solve challenging issues. The overwhelming majority of the city’s employees I have worked with truly care about the city and are committed to doing an excellent job. Their commitment and dedication is inspiring to me. I also feel blessed to be in a position to positively impact the lives of the citizens and employees of the City of Hampton.”
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Government, The College of William and Mary
- Juris doctor degree, Marshall-Wythe School of Law, The College of William and Mary.
- Deputy city attorney, Hampton, Va., 2007-2014
- Assistant commonwealth’s attorney, Newport News, Va., 2006-2007
- Associate attorney, St. Clair law firm, Norfolk, Va., 2005-2006
- Assistant commonwealth’s attorney, Norfolk, Va., 2001-2005
- International City/County Management Association
- Virginia Local Government Management Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Hampton Bar Association