Planning & Zoning Administration
Performs planning, zoning and environmental functions:
- Administers the zoning ordinance and manages land use applications by evaluating their consistency with adopted city policies
- Provides staff support to the Board of Zoning Appeals, Chesapeake Bay Review Committee, Hampton Youth Commission, Planning Commission, and Wetlands Board
- Provides strategic master plans, the Hampton Community Plan, and policies to guide future development
- Contributes design assistance on development projects in special districts
- Contributes environmental expertise and reviews related to regulation and enforcement of Chesapeake Bay and wetlands protection requirements
- Coordinates with regional planning efforts
- Develops relationships with key stakeholder groups to build upon Hampton’s historical strengths and assets to leverage new investment and partnerships
- Proposes amendments to codes and ordinances to comply with state law and ensures agreement with the Hampton Community Plan
- Tracks Census, demographic, and other community data measures and trends
Feb. 13, 2019 - Celebrate International Women's Day with a free bike ride on March 9 that starts in downtown Hampton. Riders of all ages and skill levels are invited to join a trip of 5, 12 or 20 miles that begins at 9 a.m. Read on...
Feb. 5, 2019 - Hampton is updating the city's Community Plan through the year 2040. The plan includes a 5-year look at immediate strategic issues in the city, and a 20-year look at broader areas of growth and development. Read on...
Jan. 8, 2019 - Join the Resilient Hampton team and meet with experts from New Orleans and the Netherlands to learn about and share opinions on potential projects along Newmarket Creek. Read on...
Jan. 4, 2019 - Starting Jan. 24, Hampton’s Community Development Department will offer a six-week education series designed to give citizens and community leaders a better understanding of the community development process and code enforcement. Read on...
Jan. 3, 2019 - Hampton is updating the city's Community Plan through the year 2040. The plan includes a 5-year look at immediate strategic issues in Hampton and a 20-year plan that will look at broader areas of growth and development in the city. Read on...
Dec. 19, 2018 - Hampton could be the first in Virginia to take on pioneering projects that reduce flooding and prevent pollution using environmental impact bonds, a funding tool leveraged through the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and Quantified Ventures. See joint press release
Nov. 16, 2018 - Hampton’s Community Development Department will hold a meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 27, from 6-7:30 p.m., to refine neighborhood priorities for the new Fox Hill Neighborhood Center. Read on...