Director, Federal Facilities Support
A member of the city’s executive management team, Sturk leads Hampton’s efforts to partner with and build relationships with the NASA Langley Research Center; Joint Base Langley– Eustis (Langley Air Force Base); and other federal organizations.
He fosters the continued operation, long-term prosperity and growth of Hampton-based federal entities consistent with the city’s vision and values. Sturk is executive director (appointed by City Council) of the Hampton Federal Area Development Authority Board. He’s also principal city staff support to the Fort Monroe Authority, which is responsible for many activities associated with the 2011 closure of Fort Monroe and the new Fort Monroe National Monument.
Sturk has been a city employee since 2008, but he has considered Hampton home since 1976, when his parents moved here. His father, who retired in 1980, was stationed at Langley Air Force Base. Sturk entered the Air Force in 1980 and retired in 2006. Over the years, he continued to come home to Hampton. He believes the city is truly an amazing and diverse community with many things to offer citizens and visitors alike.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in political science and Associate Degree in criminal justice, Norwich University, Northfield, Vt.
- Master of Arts degree in human resource management from Troy State University, Montgomery, Ala.
- Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies from the Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
- Graduate of the Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
- Received his Air Force commission from Norwich University, Northfield, Vt., in 1980 (distinguished graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps program)
- Retired from the United State Air Force as a colonel on Nov. 1, 2006
- Graduate of the Hampton Roads Civic Leadership Institute class of 2012
- Lifetime member of the Air Force Association
- Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association
- National Defense Industrial Association
- Executive vice president, Langley Air Force Base Civic Leaders Association
- Board of directors for the Virginia Peninsula Salvation Army
- Lifetime member of the National Eagle Scout Association
Married to the former Mina Ring of Gallatin, Tenn. They have three children and one granddaughter.