Marine Life

Bird near ocenMarine Life

To report beached or troubled marine life, contact the Virginia Marine Science Museum Stranding Center at (757) 437-6159 or pager number (which is manned all the time) at (757) 664-2755. Contact them for whales, dolphins, and porpoises- dead or alive.

Do not more or do anything to the animal until you talk directly to the Stranding Center. There are two laws, the Marine Mammal Protection Act and Endangered Species Law that have hefty fines for tampering with marine animals, dead or alive.

Sea Turtles

For live or dead sea turtles (not snapping turtles), contact the Virginia Institute of Marine Science Sea Turtle Stranding Center at 1 (804) 684-7313. After hours, page them at 1 (804) 684-6197.

Injured Birds

For injured birds such as sea gulls, egrets, and pelicans, call the SPCA at 757-595-1399 or the Wildlife Response Center at 757-498-2660 (they will not come pick it up) or you can take the animal to the Todds Lane Veterinary Hospital, 757-826-7602 or James River Veterinary Hospital, 757-595-5505. If the animal is dead, call the City Of Hampton Parks and Recreation Department at 757-850-5116 for disposal.