Financial Assistance Offered
Contact Human Services at 757-727-1800 for more information about any of these programs.
- Auxiliary Grants Program - Financial assistance if available for low-income aged, blind or disabled persons residing in licensed homes for adults or approved adult family care homes.
- Day Care Services for Children - Day Care is purchased for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) recipients and low income parents to enable them to become employed or to prepare for employment through schooling or training. Day care may also provide substitute care for children needing protection.
- Emergency Assistance - This federal program is usually administered from November through February and supplements the heating costs of low-income households. Eligibility is based on income, resources and non-financial criteria.
- Emergency Needs - Individuals or families with emergency needs such as food, clothing, shelter or utilities are assisted directly through contributions from churches civic groups or by identifying other alternatives to the management or alleviation of their emergency. Assistance may need to be repaid with money or volunteer community service.
- Food Stamp Program -This federal program supplements the food budgets of low-income households to help assure a nutritionally adequate diet. Eligibility is based on income, resources and non-financial criteria.
- General Relief Program -This state / local program provides monthly maintenance payments to individuals disabled 12 months or more and to certain unrelated children with no source of income.
- Hospitalization Program - This state / local program pays hospital bills and Health Department clinic visits for individuals with income below the poverty level and who are ineligible for the Medicaid program.
- Medical Assistance (MEDICAID) Program - Eligibility is based on income, resources and non-financial criteria such as age, incapacity, pregnancy, etc. Medicaid provides assistance with a wide range of medical services, including physician visits, prescriptions, hospital care and nursing home care.
- Refugee Assistance Program - Refugees may receive cash assistance and medical assistance up to eight months following entrance.
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) Program - Provides financial assistance to eligible families with children. The family receives a monthly cash payment to meet their basic needs. Eligibility is based on income, non-financial criteria and family size.