Financial Assistance Information
Restitution is the court ordered reimbursement to a crime victim from a defendant convicted of a crime against them. This type of reimbursement is ordered by the Judge at the time of sentencing and becomes part of the defendant's official sentence. Some things that restitution covers are: property loss, damaged property, medical expenses, etc. If you desire restitution, itemize and document your losses and/or damages. If you have questions regarding restitution, contact Victim Witness Services at 757-726-6978.
Virginia Victims Fund (formerly Criminal Injuries Compensation Fund)
The Virginia Victims Fund can provide financial assistance for you and your loved one if you are the innocent victim of a crime for crime-related expenses to ease some of the financial burdens that you may face.
What Can You Apply For:
- Medical expenses
- Mental health expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of wages
- Crime scene cleanup
- Temporary lodging
- Relocation expenses/moving
- Prosthetic devices
You Should Apply If:
- you had a physical or emotional injury due to a crime
- you were the payer of funeral expenses due to a crime
- the crime occurred in Virginia
- the crime occurred outside of the United States, but you live in Virginia
- the crime was reported to the police
- you have been cooperative with the police investigation
- you were not participating in any illegal activity at the time of the crime
- you did not provoke or willingly participate in the crime
If you have questions regarding restitution or to apply for Virginia Victims Fund, contact Victim Witness Services at 757-726-6978.