Terrorism Info: See Something...Say Something
See Something...Say Something
The Hampton Police Division and the Federal Joint Terrorism Task Force ask for your help in keeping an eye out for terrorism.
****Always remember: YOUR SAFETY COMES FIRST. NEVER attempt to make contact with, pursue or in any other way interfere with an individual or group of individuals whom you think are acting suspiciously. Call 911 immediately to report situations requiring an immediate response from law enforcement.****
Description of Suspicious Activities:
Surveillance - Recording or monitoring activities. May include the use of cameras, note-taking, drawing diagrams or maps.
Tests of Security - Attempts to measure reaction times to security, penetrate physical security barriers, monitor procedures, assess security.
Supply Acquisition - Purchasing or stealing explosives, weapons, ammo, etc. May include acquiring uniforms, decals, flight manuals, passes, badges.
Elicitation - Attempting to gain information about operations, infrastructure, or people by mail, email, phone, or in person.
Rehearsal - Putting people in position and moving them around according to their plan without actually committing the terrorist act.
Deployment - People and supplies getting into position to commit the act. This is the person's last chance to alert authorities before the terrorist act occurs.
Suspicious Person Out of Place - People who don't seem to belong in the workplace, neighborhood, or in a particular building or area.
Funding - Suspicious transactions involving large cash payments, deposits, or withdrawals are common signs of terrorist funding.
Breach/Attempted Intrusion - Unauthorized personnel attempting to enter or actually entering a restricted area or protected site. Impersonation of authorized personnel (e.g. police, security, janitor).
Misrepresentation - Presenting false or misusing insignia, documents, and/or identification to misrepresent one's affiliation to cover possible illicit activity.
Theft/Loss/Diversion - Stealing or diverting something associated with a facility/infrastructure (e.g. badges, uniforms, identification, emergency vehicles, technology, or documents which are proprietary to the facility).
Sabotage/Tampering/Vandalism - Damaging, manipulating, or defacing part of a facility/infrastructure or protected site.
Cyberattack - Compromising or attempting to compromise or disrupt an organization's information technology infrastructure.
Expressed or Implied Threat - Communicating a spoken or written threat to damage or compromise a facility/infrastructure.
Aviation Activity - Operation of an aircraft in a manner that reasonably may be interpreted as suspicious or posing a threat to people or property. May or may not be in violation of Federal Aviation Regulations.
Here’s a web site to help you be prepared for all types of hazardous events:
Regarding Suspicious Individuals:
- Hair color
- Hair length
- Absence or presence of facial hair, and if present, facial hair color
- Eye color
- Approximate age
- Approximate height
- Approximate weight
- Distinguishing characteristics, such as visible scars, tattoos, piercings or deformities
- Clothing, including pants/shorts/skirt/dress, shirt sleeve length, presence of coat/jacket, wearing/not wearing hat or glasses, color of all articles of clothing
Regarding Suspicious Vehicles:
License plate number and state
- Vehicle make/model
- Approximate year of vehicle
- Vehicle color
- Number of doors on vehicle
- Any visible bumper stickers or window stickers, including their size, color, placement and content
- Any visible damage to vehicle, such as paint damage, body damage, broken/missing glass, damaged or non-working head or tail light
- Occupied vehicle sitting idle or parked
- Individuals taking photos of a potential target facility (landmarks, public buildings, power plants, water treatment facilities, etc.) from inside a vehicle
- Individuals taking "panoramic" or multiple-shot/multi-angle photos of a potential target facility
- Individuals taking detailed or extensive notes outside a potential target facility
- Individuals videotaping a potential target facility from inside a vehicle
- Individuals shooting long, continuous video of a potential target facility, or videotaping a potential target facility from multiple angles
Hampton Police Division: Emergency 911
FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force: 757-609-2504