Citizens Fire Academy
Learn What it Takes to Provide Fire & EMS Protection
Through the Citizens Fire Academy, a free two-day program, Hampton Fire & Rescue offers citizens the opportunity to learn just what it takes to provide fire, emergency medical services, and HazMat protection.
Citizens learn about the Division's history and capabilities, see a fire engine up close and learn about its tools and equipment, learn what it feels like to wear firefighter gear and meet the people who do. This intense, interactive learning experience is designed to familiarize citizens with our services and how they are delivered. Teens as young as 16 may attend with a participating parent or guardian. Classes will be held from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. for two consecutive Saturdays.
See additional information about the topics covered below. Register to attend an upcoming class.
Not ready to register? Sign up for Notify Me to receive notices from Hampton Fire & Rescue, including the dates of our next Citizens Fire Academy. Still have questions, need additional information; email CFA.
Next class April 8 and 15, 2017
The class will cover, in no specific order, the following topics: Engine Company Operations, Marine Operations, Aerial Operations, Vehicle Extrication, Fire Extinguisher Training, EMS Training Overview, CPR-earn your certification, Technical Rescue, and Personal Protective Equipment.
Past Classes Have Included:
- History of Firefighting. Hampton Fire & Rescue History. National Incident Management System (NIMS).
- Tour of the 911 Emergency Communications Center and the Emergency Operations Center (EOC). Overview of the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT).
- Tour Fireboat 2. Overview of Marine Response. Tour an Ambulance. Overview of EMS Capabilities.
- Smoke Detectors and Fire Extinguisher Use. Fire Statistics.
- Protective Equipment and Tools. Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Use. Vehicle Typing.
- Vehicle Extrication and Hazardous Materials (HazMat). Extrication tools and HazMat Equipment.
- Fire Behavior and Fireground Operations. Engine Response and Hose Attack.
- Fire Prevention and Investigation. Arson Dog Demonstration. Graduation & Certificate Presentation.